LEGAL ASSISTANCE FOR SENIORS’
12th Annual Conference on Elder Abuse
Legal Assistance for Seniors’ Annual Conference on Elder Abuse brings together a multidisciplinary group of professionals working on the front lines serving older adults. This state-wide conference is an essential resource and networking opportunity for a wide range of professionals, including attorneys, social workers, fiduciaries, law enforcement officials, and other advocates for seniors.
Join us to learn, network and share best practices so that together we can better support older adults. Continuing education credits available. Light breakfast, coffee break and networking lunch are included.
Up to 6 hours continuing education credits available for CA Attorneys, Professional Fiduciaries, Behavioral Scientists (LMFT, LCSW, LPCC, and/or LEP), Psychologists and CA Registered Nurses. Pending approval, credits may also be available for Public Administrators, Guardians and Conservators. Please inquire. More information on continuing ed credits can be found here.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Glenn Hammel “Embracing Your Ability To Unduly Influence.” Dr. Hammel is a Clinical Neuropsychologist who explains in compassionate and common-sense terms how the conditions of aging impact brain functioning, vulnerability to elder abuse, and the ability to make decisions. His extensive clinical experience with the problems and opportunities associated with aging has made him a leading forensic expert as the Courts strive to balance an elder’s right to autonomy with society’s duty to protect.
ID Theft – Vivienne Antal, Senior Stakeholder Liaison, IRS
Decluttering Skills to Help Older Adults with Hoarding Disorder – Dr. Michael A. Tompkins, Co-Director, San Francisco Bay Area Center for Cognitive Therapy
Recent Changes in Testamentary Capacity Rules – Hon. Elaine Rushing, Dr. Jonathan Canick, Walter Cook, Esq. and Ronald P. Wargo II, Esq.
Protecting Residents of California’s Long-Term Care Facilities – Eric Carlson, Directing Attorney, Justice in Aging
Issues Facing LGBT Seniors in Estate Planning – Deb Kinney, Partner, Johnston, Kinney & Zulaica LLP
- Tenant Protections and Legal Strategies to Prevent the Eviction of Seniors – Leah Simon-Weisberg, Managing Attorney of the Tenants’ Rights Program, Centro Legal de la Raza; and Victoria Snyder, Staff Attorney, Contra Costa Senior Legal Services
- Boots on the Ground: Fighting Pension Poaching Scams Against Elder Veterans in San Francisco – Tamari Hedani, MPH, Associate Director of Elder Abuse Prevention, Institute on Aging
- Aging and Long-Term Care Policy Updates: the Recent, the Current, and the Ugly – Tony Chicotel, Staff Attorney, California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR)
- Medicare Alert: How to Help Prevent Medicare Fraud & Abuse – Pat Macholl, Counselor, Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Supporting the LAS Conference on Elder Abuse shows your commitment to protect seniors, and provides high visibility of your brand to our professional audience. A limited number of exhibit tables are available with some sponsorship packages. Download sponsorship information and benefits or a sponsor registration form below, or contact us for more details at 510-832-3040.
- Andrew deVries, MBA – Probate, Estate, Trust and Conservatorship Real Estate Broker
Michael Stephens – Highland Partners – Probate & Estate Realtor
- Care Indeed
IMT Associates, Meredith Taylor & Sharon Toth
- Mechanics Bank Wealth Management
Seniors At Home — JFCS
- A.R.M. Homes
- East Bay Chapter of the Professional Fiduciary Association of California (PFAC East Bay)
Ingrid M. Evans, Evans Law Firm, Inc.
Julie Menack, 21st Century Care Solutions
- Priscilla Camp
- Senior Care Consultants
LAS would also like to thank
UCSF/UC Hastings Consortium on Law, Science & Health Policy for their collaboration hosting the conference
- Institute on Aging for making possible APA, BRN and CAMFT continuing education credits
Alameda County Area Agency on Aging for sustained program support and
East Bay Foundation on Aging for their partnership with LAS
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations received by 4/24/17 will be refunded less a $10 administrative fee. Those received 4/25 to 5/9/17 will be refunded less a $50 fee. No refunds after 5/9/17, but you may transfer your registration to someone else. Refunds will be processed approximately 2 weeks after the conference.
Legal Assistance for Seniors (LAS) may take photographs, audio recordings and video during the conference and reproduce them in news or promotional material, in print, electronic or other media, including the LAS website. By participating in the conference, you grant Legal Assistance for Seniors the right to use your name and image for such purposes. All postings are property of LAS.
For those unable to afford the cost of the conference, we have a limited number of volunteer spaces available. Email conference [at] lashicap.org for information on volunteering.