Our Community Education Program
LAS staff and volunteers travel to senior residences, senior and disability centers, community centers and faith-based organizations throughout Alameda County to speak about legal and healthcare-related issues important to seniors.
We offer these educational presentations in other languages such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Hindi and Punjabi. All of our services are free of charge, although we gratefully accept donations to help us educate seniors.
We Give Community Education Presentations To:
- Seniors, their families, friends and caregivers
- People with disabilities and their families, friends and caregivers
- Staff from service provider organizations
- Other concerned individuals
Our Community Education Department is a vital part of our agency. It’s our way of spreading the word about all the services we provide, and educating the community. At LAS we have always believed that education can prevent future problems and pitfalls.
HICAP Community Education Programs
- Understanding Medicare: An Overview of Coverage and Options
- Financial Assistance: How to Get Help with Health Care Costs
- Medicare and the Annual Enrollment Period: Changes for Next Year
- Knowledge is Key: Know Your Medicare Rights
- Medicare Alert: How to Prevent Medicare Fraud & Abuse
- The ABC’s of LTC: An Overview of Long Term Care Insurance
- Navigating Medicare for LGBT Beneficiaries
- How to Age in Place: Hiring and Working with a Caregiver
Legal Community Education Programs
- Create a Secure Future: Advance Health Care Directives
- Seniors’ Guide to Public Benefits
- Stepping up to the Plate: Guardianship of Minor Children
- Planning for Caregivers of Minors: Who Will Care for the Child if I Cannot?
- Keeping Elders Safe: An Overview of Elder Abuse and Legal Remedies
- Citizenship for Seniors: A Step-by-Step Guide to Naturalization
- Consumer Fraud: Scams Targeting Seniors and Tips for Protection and Prevention
- Basic Housing Rights for Seniors
- Protecting Your Home Equity: PACE Loans, Reverse Mortgages, and Other Common Risks
Elder Abuse Conference
As part of our community education mission, LAS holds a nationally recognized annual conference on Elder Abuse. Learn more about it here >>
Request a Presentation
*LAS services are only open to Alameda County residents