Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)
HICAP provides free and unbiased community education, individual counseling, and advocacy to Medicare beneficiaries about Medicare, Supplemental Insurance, Prescription Drugs and Medicare Advantage plans, Long Term Care Insurance, Medicare Appeals, and Low Income Assistance programs.
What is HICAP?
The Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) is a volunteer supported program that helps Medicare beneficiaries of any age make informed choices and provides advocacy when their health care benefits and rights are threatened or denied.
Individual appointments are available throughout the county with trained volunteer Counselors who are registered with the California Department of Aging. HICAP does not sell, endorse, or recommend any specific insurance product or plan.
Who does HICAP serve?
- Current Medicare beneficiaries
- Adult children and other representatives of Medicare beneficiaries
- Pre-retirees and others approaching Medicare eligibility
- People younger than 65 years who are eligible for Medicare due to disability
- People needing information on Long Term Care Insurance
How do I get help?
Call for an appointment at one of our many area counseling sites. Download the full list of HICAP Counseling sites and contact numbers here>>
Contact us for information or an appointment with a HICAP counselor. Fill out a HICAP request form here >>
Drop-in on one of our community education events >>
* While LAS is committed to serving seniors and other persons in need, LAS is not a primary responder. In situations that require immediate medical, police or emergency services intervention, please call 911 for assistance.
Resources for Medicare Beneficiaries in Alameda County
Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit and Plans for 2021
Medicare Advantage Plan Comparison Chart for 2021
Medigap Plan Comparison Charts for 2020
Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Benefit and Plans for 2020
Medicare Part D Plan Finder Worksheets